Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Day 41: 31 Weeks Gestation

Writing 31 weeks gestation makes me remember how I was feeling when the twinners were first born. Looking forward from 25 weeks gestation to 31 seemed so far into the future! We were both so scared and had no idea what was going to happen between then and now. Abi and I prepared ourselves for the worst and I do not think either of us would have believed you if you would have told us how our journey would turn out to be. Most 25 weekers are on the vent for 4-5 weeks, our girls were both on the vent for only 21 hours! (Except for Emma's 24 hours during/after her PDA surgery.) Both Adalyn and Emma have been on a CPAP of 5 on room air for the past 4 weeks and that has been off CPAP for 2 days then back on again for 7ish days. Most 31 weekers have only been on CPAP for 2 weeks and most likely they need oxygen. The girls seem to be right on track with their feedings and are both gaining weight. So far neither of them has shown signs of NEC and have avoided other infections. Adalyn didn't even need a PDA surgery and Emma recovered quickly from hers and was off the vent right away. I almost do not dare to write this because I am so afraid that the second I start believing that our girls are the babies that will fly through the NICU with minimal problems and come home on time, something will happen and I will be devastated. Everyday Abi and I live in fear of phone calls because it might be the NICU with bad news. We both are tired all the time from worry, driving, and work. Despite these things our marriage is stronger than ever and nothing brings us more joy than our 2 baby girls. How can all of this be? Why are our girls doing so well? The answer is simple: Prayer. Because of all of your prayers GOD has chosen this path for us and Adalyn and Emma. Already my daughters have witnessed to more people than Abi our I ever could. I have had complete strangers come up to me and ask if I am Dave Lamar and then tell me that they are praying for me. I have had friends open up and talk to me about GOD like they never have before. His power is awesome and he is using Adalyn and Emma already in ways we could never understand. Please continue to pray for my little girls, it does make a difference.

Okay, now on to the facts. Adalyn and Emma both had their CPAP removed today and this time the doctors think it is for good. (Abi and I are a little skeptical but anything is possible.) Adalyn has had a few alarms mostly related to spit ups. Tonight she weighed in at 3lbs 3oz.(1450) Emma has had more alarms but they are also mostly related to spit ups. Emma's feedings are now up to 7 ml every hour and her goal is 8, so hopefully she can reach this soon and have her PICC line removed. She weighed in at 3lbs!(1350) Way to go girls! Both over 3 pounds! Doctor Droste agreed with the nurse and neither of them are showing signs of eye disease.

Please continue to pray that both girls tolerate their feedings, stay free of infection and NEC, and that they continue to grow and develop into normal baby girls. GOD Is In Control.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! that video was great. The best part was when we turned the computer up and heard their "baby noises"! That was so sweet. Again we have to say how grateful we are for your blog. We continue to pray for all four of you. We love you, and are so grateful to serve such a powerful God. Lots of love, Tammy, Jay & Kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how right you are in the way God is using Emma and Adalyn. Jesus' birth was also a miracle and he performed many as he walked this earth so to show God's love and power to the people. We are sometimes a very visual people and sometimes we all need that visual in our faith. Emma and Adalyn are the visual of HIS miracles and that has added strength to many in their faith. God works in many ways and I am a true believer in things happen for a reason. Your girls have and will continue to touch lives in a way that being full term may not have, so, we know this is all part of Gods plan. Thanking HIM for all the miracles and praying for continued developement in the twinners and his guidance and love over all involved. Faith-Hope-Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for letting us share in listening to the girls! I think I played it 10 times before I thought I'd better write! It is a miracle on how well they are doing, and you are right, the power of prayer is the most remarkable gift God has given us. We continue to send them for all of you, as do a lot of my family and friends. One friend said that she almost feels like she knows you from praying for you.
    God doesn't give you anymore than you can handle, use to detest that quote, but I have learned that it is true! Hang in there! We love you!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cute little hats ready for their first Christmas how sweet. Sharing that video is awesome it's so neat to hear those baby noises. Continue to keep your family in our prayers. God is GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHHHH, baby noises are the best!

    ReplyDelete