Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Minivan

It has been over a week now that both girls have been home and we continue to adjust daily. The twinners definitely keep us hopping and on our toes...and we love it! It is amazing how having children really changes who you are. I never understood how people could be so protective of their children...now I do. I never understood why so many moms drove minivans...now I do. Yeah that is right. Dave won. As many of you know Dave has wanted a minivan for quite a while...even before we had kids. He thought they were great because of all the space they have. Well I was not on the same page as him. I could not get over how unattractive of a vehicle they are (no offense to those of you have have and love your minivan). Well, I changed my mind the day we brought Adalyn home. Allow me to pain you a little picture.

...Dave and I head up to the hospital to pick up Emma. Adalyn is along for moral support. We get both of the girls packed up and into their double stroller (which is much like a stretch limo in terms of stroller size). We head out to the car and get both girls car seats locked into their bases in the back seat of my lovely volkswagen golf. The stroller gets very strategically placed into the "trunk". The girl's monitor occupy the only space left in the back seat. The diaper bag get crammed behind the passenger seat. I get into the car and I am sitting a little closer to the dash then usual, but since I am not really what most people would call tall, I seem to fit just fine. Dave on the other hand looks like a large person driving a smart car...in other words...he just does not fit. His seat has to be so far forward that he has to drive the entire way home with his knees touching the dashboard. Poor Dave had to listen to me giggle at him almost the whole way home. However, it was at this point where I realized that we needed something with more space and really a minivan was the most practical choice.



So in this instance my girls changed who I was in terms of my car. You see I have always become friends with my cars. My little white volkswagen golf was very "me" and I lovingly called it princess. Well we traded princess in at the end of last week for a white chevy venture. And now rather than having a car named princess I have a car that I can very comfortably use to transport my princesses. You see I really no longer care what kind of vehicle I drive as long as it is the best thing for my family. I am still getting to know my minivan so I have not come up with a name for it yet, but I will :)

Things continue to go well at home. Dave & I are still adjusting to getting no more than 2 consecutive hours of sleep at night. We are also adjusting to almost always smelling like spit up. And we are adjusting to the joy of parenting such wonderful miracles. We continue to feel blessed on a daily basis and it is our prayer that it never changes.

The girls had another eye exam yesterday. Emma has stage 2 ROP of both eyes and Adalyn's eyes are still immature, but show no signs of disease. So both girls will continue to go in for eye exams until their eyes are mature which usually occurs between 40-44 weeks gestation.



Both girls continue to struggle with their reflux, Emma still more than Adalyn. Please boldly ask God to heal there reflux. I am okay with them spitting up as long as they gain weight, are comfortable, and do not have alarms. Well they are gaining weight, but there are times where their reflux seems to bother them despite being on Zantac. And they are still having some alarms when they spit up. Please pray that they continue to grow and develop well and that God protect them from illness and infection.

On another note. Dave & I were contacted last week by a reporter from the Holland Sentinel wanting to do a piece about our girls. The story is in today's paper in the Life Style section. It can also be found on there website by following this link: http://www.hollandsentinel.com/feature/x1920340700/Tiny-blessings.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, love the pictures of your two little princesses!! Excellent story in the sentinel too, what a journey the two of you have had and continue to have. The girls bring you much work but also alot of joy. We keep praising God from whom all blessings flow! Praying for the four of you every day. Love, G. Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you have your entire family under one roof. I love the car story of the "princess" trade in and how it is so true that the safety of your children is more important now. The article was great and you continue to be great whitnesses through your story. We will continue to keep you guys in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "MV" Mama! I am a proud Chevy Venture owner as well, sold my VW Jetta last summer and bought a van so I completely understand. Some girls and I at work call it the MV as code I guess it sounds cooler, and the plus side of driving a MV is the fact that others on the road might think you are driving your mom's car(because you are young), see it isn't that bad then! Good to hear the girls are doing well and I'll take a look at the sentinel article.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a mini van. It looked like a dust buster. Everyone knew my van. After a short time all the vans that looked like mine were called "The Londa Van". Vans are great with kids. Loved the article in the sentinel. I made everyone that came in the office today look at it. Rejoicing that the twinners are doing so well but will continue to pray for them. Londa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update. I was chuckling out loud just picturing Dave trying to drive the car with his knees by his ears! Loved the article in the paper. Thanks for sharing your God story. Only God would have this plan...twinners come early...so we can give Him the glory. Your faith and trust in God through this time is truly sweet. What an inspiration. You just have to know that others will also be inspired and come to know their Heavenly Father better or for the first time. God is in control...He knows what's best for us...and He loves us more than we can ever know! Take care all of you. We love you...the Dreyer's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, this ultra chic Aunt had a van for quite awhile!! I felt hip in it!
    Loved the article. Big Lar sent it yesterday! They did a great job! Really enjoyed the pictures of Miss Adalyn and Miss Emma being together!
    Remember, whatever I can do to help, just let me know! God is and always be in control!
    Love, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I wondered if the reporter would find you guys, he called us here at Lamar Construction trying to get information! We are continuing to pray for your wonderful little princesses!
    Sarah Turkstra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Guys! Nice story in the paper! We enjoyed it and I've passed it along to lots of people online! Great witness and testimony. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dave and Abi
    I just wanted to let you know how much your story sounds like ours and how happy I am for you guys to be out of the hospital and home. My wife and I have a son in the NICU right now and are very pleased with his progress. He was born at 23 weeks and 3 days after my wifes water broke at 22 weeks and 10 days of hospital bed rest. He was delivered by Csection and has been amazing the doc ever since then. He has had his ups and downs but is dong really good right now and breathing on his own. We believe that God and all the prayers behind our little guy are the main reason. Well, that and all the doctors and nurses and machines hahaha. Sounds like you had the same thing. Isnt it great?! (the support) Our son was born at 1 pound 15 ounces and 11 inches long. So small. Even our stories start out the same. I am in the landscape business (Dave was construction) and my wife is a Labor and Delivery Nurse and is going to school to be a NP. Just kinda strange how its all so much alike I though we were going to have twins too Dave;) Anyways, we also love to share our story with people and be a testimony of Gods grace. If you get a chance, look us up on carepages.com and then look up lindseyweesies. Feel free to pass our story along to anyone and know that my wife and I will send up prayers for your two daughters.

    Praying for you
    Ryan and Lindsey Weesies... and Evan:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your humor.....and the visual of the car ride home. The pictures are so precious too and enjoyed reading the article about your tiny blessings. Thanks for sharing. Continue to pray for each of you. Faith, Hope, Love..Janice Hettinger

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay ...how do you find time to write this blog??? You two are amazing! May God continue to give you the energy and strength you need and Bless the girls with no more reflux. (I have never succumbed to a mini van but we did own a HUGE conversion van when the kids were young)
    love to you, Michele & Mike

    ReplyDelete
  12. You guys are doing great! The girls look wonderful! And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my minivan! Drive it with pride! Praying for you guys! Love Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Zantac is amazing... relieves my lil cupcakes heartburn, hope I can also take it to relieve my heartache! LOL Got it online at www.medsheaven.com

    ReplyDelete