Sunday, November 15, 2009

Day 10: Back on CPAP

Sorry I am posting this a day late. Believe it or not we had a busy weekend :) Both girls are doing good, praise God! Yesterday morning Emma went back on CPAP too, so now both girls are. They both still seem to be tolerating it fine, abother sign it was needed. They both continue to have alarms for bradys (dropping their heart rate) and low pulse-ox (oxygen level). They are having less than they were before they were put back on CPAP & they are not requiring any stimulation. Meaning when they drop their heart rate and/or oxygen level they are coming out of it on their own without the nurse having to go touch them or sit them up. Adalyn's appear to be due to apnea of prematurity (she stops breathing for a few seconds) which is normal for a 25 weeker. The nurses have said they have not noticed this as much with Emma. Mom thinks maybe Emma is refluxing because she seems to have more alarms after her feedings and I notice her swallowing. At least this is what I have noticed when I am there. Reflux is also very common in preemies due to their immmature muscles. Mommy could be wrong about this though, time will tell.

Both girls are still doing well with their feedings. They are due to go from 2 ml every 3 hours to 4 ml every 3 hours soon...big stuff! They both gained weight last night. I cannot remember what their weights were...sorry...still having trouble finding some of those crayons :)

I had a hard time with the girls going back on CPAP. Largly due in part to the post partum hormones, but also because I do not like seeing that on their pretty little faces. So I had to get some much needed reminders from the nurses yesterday about how good they are doing for 25 weekers and how they should still be intubated. Mommy just has some high hopes, as unrealistic as they may be, I believe in the power of prayer. So I pray for things that medicine says should not happen. Like cervixes going backwards in dilation and effacement :) It was good for me to hear though because I need to remember how far they have come already in their 10 days and how much God has blessed us and them. Just please continue to pray that God continues to do the unexpected in the twinners and that they continue to do better than what a 25 weeker should.

Some people have requested I update how I am doing in my recovery. I am doing well. I have not taken any Vicodin since friday morning, just some occassional motrin. I am getting around MUCH easier than before. Dave still makes me ride in the wheel chair at the hospital even though I tell him I am fine. I have an appoitment tomorrow with the Maternal Fetal Medicine doctors to check my incision. We are supposed to find out then if the studies that were done on my placenta at Mayo showed any cause for my preterm labor. I joked that I with some friends that I was going to put something on the blog about my belly button...and they thought I was kidding. I wasn't. I was so excited yesterday morning when I woke up to an inny belly button again. Woo Hoo the belly is shrinking. Sorry. Besides seeing my daughters it was the highlight of my day :)

Thanks again for all your prayers. We ask that you please continue to pray as our girls have a lot of growing and developing left to do.

1 comment:

  1. The Mejeur's just learned about your blog and are joining in as prayer warriors! So touched by your story and testimony!

    ReplyDelete