Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day 15: Quarantine!

Happy 2 Weeks!

Today was a good day for Adalyn and Emma, not so good for Dave and Abi. Abi has influenza! She talked some more with the doctors at the NICU and they said she doesn't have to wait until next Wednesday to see them, she just needs to be symptom free for 24 hours.(Good news?) Now for me, because Abi has the flu and I don't, I cannot go to see them for 4 days! The reason for this is that they need to be sure I haven't contracted what Abi has. So even if Abi feels better tomorrow she can go on Saturday but I can't. This is hard on both of us, with only a limited time each day with the girls due to work and life in general, we are really going to miss our time with them over the next couple of days. It feels like we're not being good parents because we can't be there for them but in actuality staying home is the way we can help them the most. Tough. Once again I'm thankful that one of our "bad" days has to do with us and not with Adalyn and Emma, they are both still doing so good!

Last night at Emma's 2:00am feeding she started to brady again because she was spitting up her food. She continued to do this through her 5:00am feeding and had 25 brady's and many of them she needed stimulation to get her going again.(Sit her up, rub her belly, basically just move her.) The doctors decided to hold her feedings for a couple of hours to give her a break until they could see her. She did really well the rest of the day with very few bradys and they resumed her feeding tonight, she is at 6ml every 3 hours. They did her blood work and gave her a chest x-ray and everything is looking good, they said it is typical for preemies to need a break every now and again from their feedings. Emma has had no blood in her stomach for almost 48 hours and we are very thankful for that. They also increased her caffeine dosage to help her breath easier. She continues to be a good pooper:) Adalyn has been a trooper with only a few spit ups(again, normal for preemies) and is up to 10ml every 3 hours on her feedings. She is also a good pooper and seems to be tolerating every thing really well.

Please pray for Abi and me as we have to stay away from the girls for a couple of days. Please ask GOD that he keeps them safe and comfortable while we are away. Also thank Him for their continued health, weight gain, and growth as they are now 2 weeks old!

5 comments:

  1. As I was reading your update I was thinking about the verse from Isaiah that talks about how God engraves us on the palm of His hands. I googled it and found this sermon on http://www.pbv.thunder-bay.on.ca/NetSermons/Is49ser.html
    this is part of it,
    "A short while ago, I was doing a project at home, taking a little time in my busy schedule to do a wood working project. In the process of handling a 2"X6", my hand slid and a large sliver carved its way into the palm of my hand. I carefully pulled out the long sliver, stopped the bleeding, bandaged it, and went outside again, back to work, thinking I would quickly forget about it. But I discovered something! The harder I worked, each time I picked up another board, the wound in my hand reminded me of what I had done. Every small amount of pressure smarted. The cut was in the exact place that would ensure that the busier I got, the more I would remember it. Listen again to God...

    See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;

    God has cut us into his hands, so that no matter how busy he is in the vast macroscopic universe and these microscopic molecular machines which display the work of his hands, he cannot forget us. Because we are the ones cut into those hands, the busier God gets, the more he remembers us"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Abi & Dave, I pray for the next few days to go quickly for the two of you. Also, for health for the Adalyn and Emma. Sometimes being a good parent is really hard (I have never had it be as hard as it has been for you two). I also pray that all four of you can be flu free from here on!! Love You Lots
    Dad/Big Lar/GPa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - two weeks today!!! Thanking and praising God!! Still praying, praying, praying...loving, loving, loving the 4 of you!
    MOM/Gma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lamars,

    I'm so sorry to hear you guys/Abi is sick. I will pray for a quick recovery for you all. I will also pray the girls continue to do so amazingly well while you are unable to visit them. You are guys are amazing parents, I know it is torture to be away from your girls but you are doing the right thing for them.
    We continue to pray for all 4 of you through this process. Congrats on 2 weeks!!!! Go Girls!

    Praying,
    Kate, Mark, and our miracle guys

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abi and Dave, you are beginning to find out that as a parent you sacrifice for your children and now even though you so desire to be with them, you sacrifice your feelings and need to be with them for their needs. That is WONDERFUL parents. Hang in there. God knows best and he will be there for ALL of you at even the most difficult times. Continued prayer for every situation. Love from SD..Janice Hettinger

    ReplyDelete