Thursday, November 12, 2009

Day 8: Happy 1 week!

These pictures are from last Saturday, many people have requested the "wedding ring" photos.(Emma is the one with the CPAP)


Today Adalyn and Emma are 1 week old, praise GOD. This past week has flown by and when we take a step back and look at where we started and where we are now it is incredible. Last Thursday I woke up at 4:30am to my phone ringing, I missed the call and noticed I had missed eleven calls before this most recent one. Disoriented with sleep I called the most recent number and it was my mom saying my dad was on the way to wake me up and I had to go to the hospital. I flew out of bed and threw on clothes(for some reason a Deleeuw Lumber t-shirt was the shirt I picked for the day my daughters were born) and jumped in the car and made a call to my dad I barely remember telling him I was already on my way to the hospital. When I became fully aware of what was going on I called my mom back and asked her to pray for Abi, the twinners, and for me as I drove. I then called Abi and told her I was on my way. Upon arriving at the hospital Abi and I had little time to cry, pray, and get excited about meeting our children. As I walked into the operating room after they had gotten Abi ready it was like walking into a different world. The lights were so bright after the dark room where Abi had spent the last week and there were probably a dozen people in the room. As they started Abi's c-section I remember sitting down next to Abi and thanking GOD that we were more excited than scared. The next 20 minutes flew by as they pulled first Adalyn(To which Abi said "You were right, its a girl!), then 2 minutes later Emma out and into our lives.(Abi's tearful reaction to Emma was "No wimpy white boys!" The doctors all laughed at this, realizing Abi was from the medical field.) As we waited in the recovery room our girls were brought to the NICU. While we waited we experienced both joy over our two daughters and fear for there well being as we waited for the call that they were stable and we could go see them. Again I thanked GOD that we were more excited than afraid, I didn't want the birth of our children over shadowed by the fear of their premature birth. When we finally went to see them we were over joyed that they were alive and doing well on the vent. We began mentally preparing ourselves for the long road ahead. Now, 1 week later, we would have never guessed that our little girls would be off the vent and breathing on their own! Not a day goes by that a professional in the medical field doesn't say that Adalyn and Emma shouldn't be doing this well and most say they haven't seen progress like theirs before. GOD's hand is clearly seen in our daughters lives.

An update on the girls: Adalyn received her PICC line last night and that went fairly well.(they had to try twice) Adalyn gained 2 ounces and is up from 1 pound 10 ounces to 1 pound 12 ounces. Emma put on 2 ounces as well and is now weighing in at 1 pound 13 ounces. Until now they have both been slowly loosing weight so it is exciting to see them put some back on. Both are doing great and seem to enjoy the Kangaroo Care as much as Abi and I do. Tonight Emma peed on me and took a poop in her diaper while I was holding her.(I guess I'll let it go this time, but next time she is in trouble:)) Adalyn slept the entire time Abi was holding her except for the last 5 minutes when she got the hiccups. (A 1 week old micro preemie with hiccups is about the cutest thing I have ever witnessed!)

GOD Is In Control.

8 comments:

  1. Abi,Dave and Girls,
    I am reading this from Ohio at 1130 at night when I should be in bed but things were busy at the office today and I had not checked for update and I felt a need to check before bed. You are so right about keeping the prayer and praise going and know that as I go to sleep tonight I am sending up special prayers for you all. God Bless You all as you rest tonight and prepare for the busy days ( and years ahead)

    Sheila HPA Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Abi and Dave...how wonderful...the girls are doing well...and yes I said the same thing that Abi did "no wimpy white boys" Prayers continue for all of you....remember to take care of yourselfs as well....char and her newfies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave and Abi,

    I absolutely love reading your blog. Your excitement nearly jumps off the page and is quite contagious! At first, I was a little nervous every time I clicked on the page to see the latest update, now I'm just excited to see the progress Adalyn and Emma have made! I'm so thankful! I will continue to think of and pray for you all! I can't wait until the girls will be up for a visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sooo happy that all is going well for you guys! I pray that God will continue to be with you and the girls! I'm soo happy to hear that they are gaining weight!!! we do serve and amazing God!!!!!

    Love Tam & Jer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so thankful for you guys that they are doing so incredibly well!! It is so great that they're breathing on their own--the nurses thought Layla did well breathing on her own and that was at 31 weeks! Adalyn and Emma are true miracles! They are strong little girls--might be trouble for you when they're older--haha:). It is great to read your excitement about them and about the mighty God we serve! I was praying for no "wimpy white boys" for you guys--God certainly does answer prayers!!!
    Mere

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave, Thanks for the post. I couldn't help the tears while I read. That probably doesn't surprize you. :)
    It is so great to hear about the progess your precious girls have made. We will continue to pray for all four of you everyday.
    God is Great!
    Jordan K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ring pics are fantastic. Just wait a couple months, there will be a cute layer of baby fat(or in some cases like my Max--multiple layers of baby fat).
    It is so great to hear the girls are still doing so great! We all continue to pray for their continued strength and courage for Adalyn and Emma as well as for the 2 of you.

    Thinking about you and and praying constantly,
    Kate, Mark, and the boys

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again you have me laughing and crying at the same time! Rejoicing on how well the girls are doing and thanking the Lord how he is watching over them, holding them and strengthening them. Looking at the pictures with your ring really puts in perspective just how tiny they are!
    Enjoy your Kangaroo time, it is heavenly to see!
    Love,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete